Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Books to Celebrate Earth Day! (& Linky Party!)



As you all know, Earth Day is Sunday, April 22.  I am preparing a pinterest-inspired bulletin board through this week.  It was mostly inspired by this from the Suesstastic blog.  More to come on that later.  This blog post is dedicated to books that I will be sharing with my students this week in celebration of Earth Day.  



The Lorax is my all time favorite Dr. Seuss book.  It is also perfect for discussing plot, theme, setting (and change of setting), point-of-view, etc.  It is also the perfect book to talk about why we should take care of our environment.  
P.S., Yes, I have seen the movie and I loved it!


I pulled The Giving Tree off of my personal at-home bookshelf this year to share with my students.  I don't know why I've never thought to bring it in to school before.  I'm sure everyone is familiar with the story, but it is about a tree who gives and gives and gives to the same boy-turned-man throughout the story, until it can give no more.  The love the tree has for this boy is endless, regardless of the fact that the boy gives nothing in return.  


The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs was introduced to me at the Dublin Literacy Conference by Donalyn Miller, the Book Whisperer herself!  It is an informative book, but also a real-life mystery that your students will enjoy.  The golden frog, a national symbol in Panama are mysteriously dying at a very rapid pace.  Scientists race to discover what is causing the frogs to die and make an attempt to save them before they become extinct.  If nothing else, check this book out for the pictures alone!  


 This book is new to me.  I've had it on my Good Reads list for some time, and I finally decided to check it out for Earth week.  It is amazing!  Can We Save the Tiger tells the story of various animals that are on the brink of extinction.  It's not all depressing though, it also tells about animals that were once on the brink but were brought back and are now thriving.  A lot of connections can be made between Can We Save the Tiger and The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs.  The vanishing frogs were even featured in this book!  This is also a great book for teaching the questioning strategy.  


Who says alphabet books are for preschoolers?  This is middle-grade ABC book combines poetry, informational text, and awesome illustrations to explain the many wonders of our wonderful Earth.  

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is doing to celebrate Earth Day in their classrooms.  Grab my button and link back here!  Don't forget to connect the actual link of your Earth Day post, not just your blog url.   

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    I love alphabet books....I kind of collect them and I teach 4th grade! All the books look great....the golden frog one looks really interesting....I was wondering if you read that aloud to your class or if they read it themselves? Is it a chapter book or shorter?

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara!
    My high vocabulary group just did an ABC book project. I should post about it! The golden frog book is a 48 page picture book. It is about a 5th grade reading level. I plan to read the first few pages to my class to get them hooked and then let them check it out from me to read it on their own. There are so many cool pictures and text features that I want them to experience that reading it on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!! Please post about that!!! That sounds awesome and we would totally do it:) I'm gonna have to find that book:) Thanks!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete